After months of agonizing over this watercolor painting of wild Belladonna Lilies, I have decided that I can’t really do anything to save it and since I did announce the project on WordPress, I must be honest enough to put up the result for all to view.
The moment I had finished with the first wash I knew that blue was completely wrong but there seemed little that I could do about it. And the shadows seemed to take up a life of their own; the colors either became too blue or too red but never seemed to come just right.
As you can see the background is extremely detailed and extremely bright while the fore-front of the painting is an amalgam of washes in different hues. If there ever was a complete imbalance of technique it is here. I can only be thankful that the I got the perspective and the distances almost correct. Also, I think the pencil work was not so bad either for a freehand drawing.
Like an aging lady, this painting looks a little better in soft lighting; or so I would like to believe. I will never be able to hang it up for public inspection in my home but at least I did try.